Monday, December 16, 2013

CONNECT: December 6, 2013




The Gift of Genuine Feedback
Did you ever stop and think exactly how critical the feedback from the world around us is? No, not just the "formal" feedback that we get, like performance-reviews or instructions from a mentor, but ALL of the feedback we get.....whether it be as geeky-sounding as mirror-neurons (something I've mentioned before and is just so darn cool as far as I'm concerned) or as the seemingly "natural" yet uncannily accurate way that people can read the feedback in facial expressions (take a simple test HERE).....we rely on two way communication to get through life.  What's really fascinating to me though is that despite being more connected than ever, we all still get so much meaning out of real, personalized feedback.  The impact it has on the choices we make is massive and it doesn't matter who you are, your opinion (as expressed by your feedback) matters......sometimes more than you ever thought at the time.
A few months back a professional colleague and professor at Rutgers University asked me to come in and give a 90 minute lecture for her class of "second-year" students in the Physical Therapy Doctoral program there.  I was really excited, but a little nervous too, excited because I love to "teach", nervous because (as is hard to hide) I'm passionate about the role that all healthcare providers can have in helping people achieve their best, but am sensitive to being the "guy from the real world" who came in and scared them to death with the real responsibility (I believe) they have. I did what I could to keep it light, but there's no doubt, once the passion started flowing, I hit them with a fairly challenging message - one that in simple terms included things like "the health of society is just not good enough and WE, as in each of us in healthcare, you included, MUST do better".  It wasn't mean-spirited or scolding, after all, they're not even "in" the professional ranks yet, but it was a bit of a kick to the beehive, something that my professor-friend knew she would get by giving me (of all PTs) the floor and a soapbox to stand on.  I left with a few handshakes and a couple "thanks for coming" type phrases, got in my car and wondered like I often do after a presentation, "did the message get through?" a tiny bit worried I had morphed into scary-guy.
As I wrapped up for the day I noticed that a few of the students mentioned the lecture in their latest "tweets" and a few other professionals chimed in to give their support.....and then about an hour later I got some twitter-feedback from a student that made my day:
"@mikeeisenhart you gave one of the most amazing lectures I've had as a #DPTStudent ! Left campus feeling inspired and motivated.  Thank you!"
Whoa! I never would have thought 140 characters could be so meaningful, but it was.  It was personalized and genuine, and although simple, it totally made my day.  In three less than complete sentences, the student left me hoping, despite the effort and time required during one of the craziest times of the year, that I get asked back to do it again. As I was so powerfully reminded, whether that little nudge and thumbs up from someone who noticed the effort you made or the smirk you get from someone who understands your unique sense of humor, feedback allows us to thrive.
So although this message is far too long to tweet - here is some genuine feedback:
There is less than one month before 2013 is over.  We sincerely hope you are still on track to make it the year of YOU, but whether you smash your goals or fall short, whether you get across the finish line triumphantly with arms raised or you didn't even attempt one forward move, achieving starts with believing......and we believe.  No matter how many false-starts or deflating-setbacks........working safer, living safer and achieving health CAN be done.  Whenever you're ready, we're here to help.
Have a great weekend,
Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home