Thursday, November 14, 2013

ENDURE: November 11, 2013



Nothing is Impossible
 I got to meet one of my heroes today (ok, I have several of them).  The funny thing is, I forgot he was one of my heroes for a while.  When I saw that he would be presenting at a meeting I was attending and started thinking about it some, I was pretty excited.  For the last couple of years I've attended a big conference of Physical Therapists as both a chance to connect with some colleagues from across the country all in one place, but also to go back to school.....to literally sit through lectures & topic-presentations in a continuous effort to raise my game.  I'm a fan of this particular conference because they always start with a cool keynote address and pick fun locations; this time in New Orleans, Louisiana a place I'd never been.
A Hero, by definition, is "A person who is admired for courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities" and as Pat Croce, the physical therapist turned president/owner of the Philadelphia 76ers turned pirate historian (yes, pirate historian) took the stage, I remembered why he is one of my heroes.  Without a doubt I admire his accomplishments.....as an entrepreneur-PT he literally took himself from the training room to the board room.....which, although inspiring, is really the easy one.  If you consider some of the risks he's taken and some of the challenges he's faced along the way
(including a major motorcycle accident), the courage exists......but that wasn't it either.  What I realized in his words and his attitude as he spoke, is that, at least for me it's the "noble qualities" that
counted most.
Now I'm SURE, not unlike anyone, he's not all nobility......and he's not my only hero....not by a long shot - but there was nobility in his message......a nobility that EVERYONE can benefit from.  In a simple and yet highly energetic and entertaining way the message was this:
That despite the naysayers and the unforeseen challenges along the way:  "Nothing is Impossible."
Maybe that sounds like the mantra of a dreamer.  Maybe that sounds like someone who has just gotten lucky.  To me, it sounds like a person who isn't afraid to tackle really big challenges and take on really hard problems.......and those people are heroes because they make things happen.
Whether it's a zero-injury workplace, a massive health change or a bucket list achievement - despite the naysayers, the unforeseen challenges along the way and the effort required - It's possible........reach out when you're ready.

Have a great weekend,
Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home