Sunday, October 6, 2013

ENDURE:September 30, 2013



A Healthcare Plan that Really Works


Are you still following the healthcare debate?  You know, the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") and all of its moving parts? If so, you might be a little dizzy…..or nauseous……or maybe just sick of it altogether.  2400 pages of legislation makes for a fun party doesn't it?  As both provider and consumer of healthcare services, I've spent the last couple of years (yes, it's been that long) trying to do my part to keep up as best I can.  From the "exchanges", to the numerous measures congress has taken, the the polls, to the recent 21 hour filibuster attempt, there seems to always be something going on related to the accountable care act.   Maybe it's the hype, or maybe there's more to it, but recently the accountable care act story seems to be front and center for me. Last week I even found myself in Boston, speaking to a forum of insurance company representatives, health care professionals and employers who are all trying to find the best way to deal with the many changes.  There was some great discussion and several original ideas and I thanked the group for not booing me out of the room.  After all, as I told them, I've spent most of my career trying to avoid health-insurance representatives and in general trying to keep the people I cared-for OUT of the healthcare system…….I left there with a saturated brain and a strong belief that despite the many changes on the way, there is only one healthcare plan that can work for everyone.  Prevention.....plain and simple.

We spend 75 cents of every healthcare dollar on chronic diseases......that's somewhere around $1.8 TRILLION DOLLARS.  Gulp.  And that's despite the fact that the vast majority (estimated 80% of heart disease cases and 40% of cancers) are preventable.  

As I drove down the Mass Pike and through Hartford, I couldn't help but think of a guy who, a few weeks ago pulled me aside to thank me because "that woman on your team over there (pointing) saved my life".  Although I wanted to think it was just a great compliment for someone deserving some praise, based on his situation and what he described…..he was pretty close to the mark; he was set up to have a rough journey-ahead, but after connecting with someone who took time and real care to explain the situation, he changed his course.  He had great care that day…..and it impacted his health……PREVENTION - it was a plan that worked.

Three days ago a similar situation played out.  About 5 months after having a slightly tense conversation with a person who had let his health slip some (but had pledged to make an effort to get back on track), we crossed paths again.  He walked up to me with a slightly crooked smile and said "did I tell you I'd take care of it?", defiantly showing me the results of his most recent health screening at his worksite.  My eyes widened: "I'm really proud of you" I said, "I knew you could do it"……and without much more than that, off he went, leaving me standing there happy that the message had sunk in enough for him to take the action he needed…….he took care that day…..and his health had improved…..PREVENTION - it was a plan that worked.  

And finally, at the end of the day today, someone pulled me aside to tell me about how he and his daughter, who have been going to the gym together tackled a 5K race.  It was her first and he bested his previous time.  He was excited about it....and rightfully so.  He was not only taking control of his health in a way that worked for him, but setting a great (active and caring) example for his daughter.  How cool is that? It was PREVENTION, a great plan, working for him.

Prevention takes effort......and time…it's not always easy and it's rarely passive.....but plain and simple, it works.  The dosage required might be different for every person and the effect may be more or less lasting.....but the ingredients are the same:
1. Get MOVING
2. FUEL Good
3. RECOVER fully
4. Build reserves in order to ENDURE
5. CONNECT with others along the way

Thank you for putting it to work!
Now go do something extraordinary,

Mike Eisenhart, PT
Managing Partner, Pro-Activity

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home