Wednesday, November 27, 2013

RECOVER: November 22, 2013



The Big Chill - Cracking the Code on a Healthy Transition

That's all folks.  The clocks have changed, most of the leaves are down, we've had our first snow dusting and the temperature has even dipped below freezing in a few spots this week.  Although winter doesn't officially start for another month, and I'm told we have a few warm days still ahead of us, this can be a tricky time for the body as it tries to adapt to the many changes as we enter the "winter transition."  Just like the change from spring to summer, where the heart and vessels undergo additional stresses while trying to adapt to heat, this is the time of year when we're trying to adapt to the changing demands.  So although I usually like to tell a story or ponder the universe with you.....I decided that I'd go straight forward and practical to keep transition "top-of-mind".
I know for me, there are always a handful of signs that pop-up.....so this year, I've decided to actively defend myself.  Feel free to borrow any of the tactics below or send me some of your tips if you've got any good ones:
1. Semi-annual cold - If it's November and the weather is changing, the kid-sniffling begins.  Although I've considered issuing mandatory yellow-HazMat suits like in the movie "Outbreak"......they're not as easy to find as you think.  So, this year I decided to take it head on and be extra diligent with hand-washing and the related as well get some extra sleep anytime I can.  So far, I've been spared, but we're in the early rounds.....we'll see.  
2. I'm parched! - The second sign is how everything seems to dry out.  It's easy to bring attention to the need to hydrate during the summer, but with winter it's not as obvious. Since thirst gets suppressed when the cold sets in, staying on top of it isn't nearly as easy.  However, I'm happy to report that I may have found a solution. I have a water bottle with a loop of plastic that allows me to clip it right to whatever bag I'm carrying and since it's in-front of my face, it's so much easier for me to remember to sip - I don't leave home without it.  So far so good.
3. Everything aches - this, unfortunately is a common one. Add decreased elasticity of the soft-tissues onto the already noted dehydration and it's not uncommon for little aches and pains to pop up.....for me, it's my left knee that always barks a little.  If there was ever a time to keep the body moving and put 5 minutes into warming up before doing something physical - THIS is the time of year.  It doesn't have to be much......it just has to be.  So if you see me stretching out my quads or doing something that looks like marching in place, you'll know why (not that you'd be surprised right?).
4. Cold sensitivity - this is my least favorite of the three.....but I think of it as a great example of how adaptable the human frame really is.  Earlier this week I stood outside and watched one of my daughters play soccer.....AND I FROZE.  My fingers and toes were like little blocks of ice......and I was dressed warmly (including hat and gloves).......yet the thermometer was only reading 36 degrees.  There's no doubt, part of it was me just being a big baby when it comes to the cold (it's my least favorite season)......but it wasn't just me....everyone there was freezing, parents and kids alike. 

What's wild of course, is that within a few weeks it'll be even colder and we'll all be doing just fine.  No doubt, this is a normal part of the cold-weather transition, but it's important that we respect it. Remember, when we get cold enough, blood is pushed toward the core to protect the vital-organs......which leaves the working tissues without as much supply or nutrients......unfortunately, this can leave them susceptible to extra stress......again, warming up is key here......so bring on the dynamic warm-up!
Here's the best news - the body is not a fragile system, it's both hearty and adaptable....but it takes about 10 days to 2 weeks of consistency for the brain to flip on all the right switches and the "winter settings" to ramp up.  During that time it's important to put up barriers to infection, take in the right amount of fluids, get good quality rest, keep your core temperature up by dressing warm-enough and prime the tissues with blood flow before doing anything strenuous.  They're not the only things, but they can help tip the odds in your favor.
Have a great weekend,
Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home