Wednesday, April 24, 2013

MOVE: April 23, 2013





I PLEDGE.....


I recently attended a meeting at a location that I've been to many times before.  There were many familiar faces, many I consider more friends than clients per se.  I had seen the agenda before the meeting and knew it would include a serious topic, not just about numbers and statistics as meetings sometimes do, but a story about a person who had been seriously injured and was working his way back to the level he wanted to be at.  Overall it was one of those bittersweet stories in that it appeared things would turn out OK, but it was not the kind of thing you'd wish on any person or any family and don't enjoy hearing about.  

The meeting started as they often do, with a local leader saying "good morning, let's start by saying the pledge of allegiance".  Now, having grown up in a family with a military service background, and having many friends and family who have served, this is always something I take seriously, but this day it was somehow different.  With my hand on my heart I started to say the words and across my view in the direction of the flag I noticed someone in the room who was standing not at "attention", but what you might call "intention".  He was looking at the flag with head up and eyes forward, obviously taking the task of saying the pledge seriously.  He wasn't going through the motions.....he was 100% there in that task at that moment and it stuck with me.

I thought about him the rest of the day, how incredibly focused he seemed and wished I had asked him about it because I felt like there had to be a story there, it was so much more than just reciting the words.  I got to thinking about what a "pledge" really is......what it means to pledge to do something and why it should be taken so seriously.  I even looked it up.  The definition is: "a solemn promise or undertaking" - and that is EXACTLY what this guy was doing.  He was making a promise, solemnly.....and by his body language alone, anyone could see that he took his promise seriously, one of the most powerful things any person can do....he was making a commitment.

As things go, I got to thinking about the various commitments we all make and perhaps not surprisingly, my mind drifted.  I wondered about how many truly amazing achievements could be attained if each day people made a pledge to do what it takes to keep safe or improve their health or do some good for those around them in the same way as the person at that meeting pledged his allegiance to "Old Glory".  Imagine the possibilities if EVERYONE was as serious as that guy. Well, maybe it was timely, since it's time for me to put my money where my mouth is, literally......and maybe for you too. 

If you've been reading these communications this year, you know early on I pledged to my friends (and colleagues) Nick and Joe to run a 50 mile Ultramarathon and raise funds for the Mohonk Preserve in New York state with them in early May.  I have trained, but admittedly I have not taken that part of the pledge nearly as seriously as I should have and (again admittedly) I am not-at-all sure I'll be ready for what equates to running the equivalent of 200 laps on a track (if you take away the hills, rocks, sticks, debris, etc of this particular race).  In fact, up until I attended that meeting, if you'd have given me a good reason, I might have been convinced to back out......but I made a pledge.....a promise......and that means in a few weeks I'll be at the starting line.

How about you?  Maybe you're ready to make a commitment.  Maybe it's big.  Maybe it's not.  Either way really doesn't matter, it's the willingness to take it seriously that counts.  With the nicer "pre-summer" weather rolling in, maybe you're ready too.  Think-so?  Well then, I hope you'll consider clicking on one or both of the links below.  The first is to take a personal pledge.  We won't tell anyone what you promise, but we might just reach out to give you a hand in succeeding.  The second is if you'd like to pledge to our cause - raising funds to preserve the 8,000 amazing acres we'll be running through for the next generation to benefit from.

1. Take a PERSONAL pledge by CLICKING HERE

2. Donate to a good cause by CLICKING HERE

Of course, if you're not quite ready to jump in, feel free to come out to New Paltz on May 4th and cheer us on - check out http://www.rocktheridge50.org/ for details.

Whether using the links or quietly to yourself, I hope that you find the strength and endurance to stand at intention.

Have a great week,

Mike Eisenhart, PT
Managing Partner, Pro-Activity

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home