Tuesday, April 23, 2013

CONNECT: April 19, 2013





A Cherished Gift, An Opportunity For Good
“You can attack us, but you will not beat us; you can try to destroy our freedom, but you’ll only make us stronger; you can inflict horror, but you cannot make us terrified. We will Fly!” - Herb Kelleher following the events of Sept 11th.

Sometimes our communications are serious, sometimes they're silly, but when we set out to write them, we always do so with the goal of writing something that tells a story and shows support for the idea that everyday, despite the seeming randomness of it all, is a chance for each of us to learn, grow and develop, which are at the very roots of what helps us, individually and as a community to achieve our goals. Whether our goals be an injury free day, a healthier year or the ability to do meaningful things over the course of our life.  And, even though we wish every story was one of triumph and happy-times, we know that even in the most senseless acts of cowardice, we can learn.  As a tribute to all of those affected by the events in Boston this week, whether athletes or the families there that are the supports on which athletes are built, or the townspeople and law enforcement officials that helped capture the suspects are currently helping to bring those involved to justice - we offer the following written by Eric Eisenhart, who participated in the race.
___________________

I am a husband, a father, a brother, a son, and grandson....I am a community member, a colleague and a friend...and I am alive and enriched with the spirit granted to me from above.  I, like many of us, wear many different hats in this world.....each a gift in their own unique way.  But sometimes, life, and the circumstances therein, cloud our ability to see the things, and the hats we wear, as they truly are.....cherished gifts....opportunities.... to do more....to endure, learn and grow through challenge....to support one another when faced with difficult times....to celebrate achievement with its realization.....and another chance to say thanks and “I love you” to those that we’ve relied on and those that have cared for us along the way.

On Monday, April 15th 2013 I was blessed with the opportunity to wear yet another cherished hat for the third straight year...that of a Boston Marathoner....
Like all “hats” worth wearing, it’s one I’ve worked very hard to secure, and one I set out each year  to “keep” by running a personal best time (this year’s target, less than 3:00:00).  But the “hat” from 2013 is one I’ll forever hold close as a reminder of the gift and opportunity given to do more in this world for another day, and in honor of those robbed of it.
My story from the 2013 Boston Marathon was not heroic.  I was blessed to be finished with the race and out of harm’s way at the time of the explosions, and if it weren’t for friends checking in with the news, I likely wouldn’t have given second thought to the sirens we heard just six miles away.  And despite executing 22 of 26.2 miles nearly perfectly as planned, I did not achieve my goal (I clocked in at 3:02:41).  The images we saw on the car ride home via social media, and the various calls from reporters, some local, some not seemed almost surreal and hard to place....”Did I really just cross that finish line a couple hours ago...could that have been us?”.  And then, with a few simple emails, phone calls, Facebook posts, tweets, and thoughts....it hit me like an emotional tidal wave, something hard to really describe.
To my fellow runners, endurance athletes, and marathoners....like you....I wear a lot of hats....in witnessing your unrelenting strength to carry on in the face of this adversity....I am so very proud to share this hat in common, and be a part of this group.
To my family, friends, clients, community members, friends of friends....and all those that followed our progress while on the course, and expressed concern for me and my family’s safety and the safety of all our local friends competing in Boston, I can not realistically capture how deeply touched I am for your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes.  It is with a heavy heart that I pray for those not as fortunate as we were, and in the spirit of true endurance (that you continue to help spark), that I accept the most recent gift given as we move forward for good....together.
 - Eric E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home