Tuesday, May 13, 2014

MOVE: May 2, 2014



Embracing the Inner Geek

Spoiler Summary - Although by research standards the larger (or more complete) the data-sample, the more reliable the findings....but when it comes to health, prevention and safety, there is a ton of power in knowing a geek or two.

It's official - I'm a geek. How do I know? Well, the Amazon computer said-so.....and therefore, it must be true.  There it was, in the last email they sent me (along with books on Triathlon, books on neuro-behavioral science and books on fitness & wellness), staring me right in the face: "The Geeks' Guide to World Domination".  On the one hand I wasn't at all surprised.....I've come to terms with my geeky side (and my desire to take over the world) - so it was natural.  So natural in fact, that when giving a presentation to folks I've never met, I tend to introduce myself almost with a warning label: "I want you to know, this isn't just a job for me and my team....it's a passion....we live, eat, breathe and sleep this stuff.....so bear with me if I get all fired up".  People laugh a little....and then a few minutes into the presentation you can almost see them thinking "he wasn't kidding....".  

On the other hand, when I saw the Amazon ad, I sort of found myself thinking "is it that obvious?" and I laughed. So naturally, I googled the author and I found that there was a CBS news clip of him promoting the book.  The first question he was asked was "what's the difference between a nerd and a geek".....his answer was so good I almost bought the book.  He said (paraphrasing), "a nerd is defined by something they can't do (social situations, etc), a geek is someone that is so passionate about what they do that they are willing to put almost everything else on the back burner".....and there it was.....a definition that reflected like a mirror. The defining characteristic NOT being knowledge but rather PASSION.

He went on to say "there are tech-geeks and fantasy-football geeks and geeks of all kinds....." and gave examples of how a person gets so locked in that they want to know every little detail and share with anyone who will listen.  Of course, this book is not hard science....and it's not the first to describe the highly-knowledgeable and passionate type (Malcom Gladwell called them Mavens several years ago), but it's an interesting theme that keeps coming up. Maybe even more interesting though is the effect that geeks have on their piece of the world....the more they learn and share, the more likely their peers, friends and family are impacted by their passion.  Ever find yourself rattling off stats or figures about an athlete or team or even sport that you're not even that interested in because a friend or colleague was so passionate about it that you couldn't help but learn too?  Ever found yourself really considering changing your diet or exercise habits because a co-worker was so excited about the change that they've got you thinking "I should do that too".

Facts and figures, stats and studies provide the evidence that can help us to put the odds in our favor, something we need to do if we want the best long-term results....but the PASSION of those around us is one-thing that most quickly helps to get the ball-rolling.  If you're a health or safety geek, that is, someone who is passionate about preventing accidents or disease....I urge you not to sit on the sidelines but wear it proud and share your passion too......it might change (or even save) a friend's life.  If you're a person who wants to get healthier or stay safe but you're not "super motivated" or don't know where to start.....I urge to find a geek.....and take notes.....not because world-domination is likely in their future.....but because passion is contagious and therefore health change could be in yours.  Once the ball is rolling, it's not nearly as hard to keep it rolling.

If you can't find a geek, let me know....I know where to find a few.

Have a great week,

Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home