Thursday, November 5, 2015

MOVE: 10/16/15 Only Enough is Truly Enough

(Only) Enough is truly enough.
 
Spoiler Summary: If loading the body is what stimulates growth and adaptation - how much is enough?
_________________

Q: "You OK?"
A. "Humbled and hurting...but pride makes everything hurt more I think"

Q. "Ugh! What happened?"
A. "Had and engine built for 16 and tried to run 26.2 -- not advisable".
__________________

That was the text exchange between my wife and I when I picked up my phone after completing the Chicago marathon last Sunday.  It was a long morning and she was making sure the drop off in my mile spits she had (virtually) witnessed were not due to injury.  To be specific, the morning was anywhere from 11 to 20 minutes too long.  Now, I realize that for most folks 11 to 20 minutes doesn't sound like that long.....but when it's all tacked on in the last third of an already long race, it makes for a less than ideal experience.  Like most things however, there's always a great opportunity to learn tucked into these events and for the extra minutes of pain and frustration, there was a great silver lining this time - race wisdom at its finest.

About 7 months ago, I decided to train for a marathon with a few of the guys who run for the same club as I do.  2 are older than me, 1 (my brother) is younger.  2 are steadily faster than me and with the other I was essentially even.  All three started with a training plan (like me) and kept on track for the better part of the 7 month window (not like me)....2 set new personal bests, the third well enough to place in the top 15 in his age group.....

And then there was me:  not able to train as consistently as I had hoped but with an already-paid-for trip, I was in for the duration -- just the kind of test I love...and hate.  What could possibly go wrong? A lot, but why?

Why, after only 1 year ago (when I posted a time 7% faster and a personal best) was I not able to repeat or do better this time?  Was it a longer or harder course? Not really.  Was it worse weather? No.  Was it at elevation? No.  Was I that much older? Not really.  Was I significantly slower? No.  Was I injured? No.

The answer, in its simplicity, is also the frustration - I just wasn't ready.  I had invested time and effort, but not ENOUGH time and effort.  I had logged miles, but not ENOUGH miles.  I could run a fast mile but not ENOUGH fast miles.  The dose of training was just not enough to match the response from it that I was looking for. I was able to squeak 19 miles out, but by mile twenty my left knee was barking and it was time to give into the fact that 7 miles was too many to push through; that unless I was willing to risk injury (I was not) I'd have to back off.  It was not the result I was looking for....but another one of those great lessons that come with experience and a renewed respect for exactly how long 26.2 miles really is.

Right before I checked my phone and as I got back to the hotel, I gave my brother a hug. I was exceptionally proud of him for meeting his goal - a new personal best.  And in that moment the moral of the Chicago story became exceptionally clear:  it's much more fun at the finish line when you've prepared enough to go the distance.  
___________________

May life be a marathon not a sprint - and may we all train accordingly!

Have a great weekend,

Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home