Monday, August 25, 2014

CONNECT: August 15, 2014


What's old is new again.....

Spoiler Summary - Whether it requires spending money, expending energy or adopting new routines, there's a lot we'll do for the ones we love - maybe even change.  

After several months of mulling it over I finally broke down and did it.....I got a puppy.  Officially he's a "young dog" (10 mos old) but by my less than expert opinion that basically makes him a puppy in a nearly full size body - so he's a puppy to me.  It started with a simple comment in passing "you know, Oliver (current dog, 11 years old) seems like he's slowing down some.....maybe he would benefit from a friend" - to which I replied (almost reflexively) "have you lost it?".....but with that comment, I was instantly and more keenly aware of my good friend of 11 years, and concluded that he was indeed slowing down some.  Awareness became contemplation, which turned into research on breeds and more contemplation which eventually became pros and cons.  Did I have the time/energy/desire to train another dog right?  Did I really want another dozen or more years of ownership responsibility?  Was I ready to deal with "puppy behaviors" (A chewed on, slobbered on and otherwise messed-up house) again? Were there benefits?  What would the drawbacks be?  How much work would it be?  Clearly, at least for me, a big decision.  The more I thought about it however, the less it became about me and my desire (or lack thereof) and more about the ones I love:

Could my good friend Oliver (dog) benefit from a younger dog around to keep him company?  Would it make him happier and energize him some in his later years?  Would it ease the pain for my kids when the sad but inevitable day comes that their loyal companion is gone?  Would they still have the same feeling of security that they've always had knowing that a loud bark and protective set of choppers were eagerly waiting to deter any "bad guys"......and then I knew the decision was an easy one.....it was no longer "could I do this?".....it was now "what kind of dog?" and "when?" - because I had already decided it was worth the effort for the ones I cared about.

The truth is, I went through a classic change cycle:

Pre-contemplation: hadn't even thought about it to -> Awareness & contemplation to -> Trial: discussion of the idea and "trying on" different breeds and types through research to -> (eventually) planning: visiting the rescue org/shelter and meeting several dogs (and even a few owners) to find the right one to -> Action: settling on "Charlie", who at one point (we later found out) was called "Marley" because of his uncanny resemblance in both look and the need for lots of activity/exercise to manage his quirkiness (some would argue a perfect match) to -> Routine building as we teach him how to succeed in our environment.....and he reminds us just how much energy a puppy requires.

Of course, this isn't a story about raising a puppy.  It's also not a story about an old dog who is finding his inner puppy.  It's a story about love.....and it's the same story my team gets to see on a regular basis.  Parents doing things that surely aren't without effort because they want life to be easier or better for their families. It's nothing new, we see it all the time.  When we ask people who are successful at staying safe everyday or improving their health "why they do it", it's pretty rare to hear them say "being healthy is better than being sick" or "being safe sure beats the alternative".....however we do hear things like "I want to be there for my kids" or "my parents need me" or "these guys couldn't live without me around here".
_____________

I hadn't told my kids.....so when I piled them in the car last weekend and told them "we decided it was time for Oliver to have a friend" they just about blew-up with excitement.  My 12 year old was in disbelief, the 10 year old literally teared up with joy and the 7 year old just sat with his mouth hanging open.  It was the kind of reaction parents pay for (although always wish they would've filmed)....and the kind of thing that doing something hard for the ones you care about most makes it all worthwhile.

Being safe today or taking a step to live a healthier life tomorrow undoubtedly requires action on your part.....however it starts with a belief that it's worth the effort, that the pros outweigh the cons.....and sometimes that means doing what we're not sure we want to for the ones we care about most.....even if it means a puppy.

Have a great week,

Mike E

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home