Monday, February 24, 2014

MOVE: February 14, 2014


Spoiler Summary: Impossible is NEVER the same as unlikely.

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them"
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke (author of 2001: A Space Odyssey)

I'm getting really tired of the white stuff falling from the sky.  It's cold, it's heavy and it's getting in the way of many of the things I consider important or enjoyable. Whether it be cancellations or postponements at work, an inability to exercise outdoors (excluding all the shoveling of course), or just my readiness for some color, much like the state's road-salt stockpile, I feel like my winter-weather tolerance is nearly empty.  But how do I know?  How do any of us really know what our limits are?  The truth is, we don't.  Having personally witnessed people do things they previously thought impossible so many times (and maybe even done a few such things along the way myself) - I've come to realize that some of the most daunting barriers we face are the limits we impose on ourselves.  But what if instead of limits we saw chances to improve?  What if instead of barriers we saw opportunities to get better?  What if in the midst of bad circumstances or setbacks we didn't stop trying, but rather started trying alternatives?

I heard a story this week about such a person.  I've never met the guy - but what I know of him seems pretty cool.  A high-school graduate in 2011 who has a passion for meteorology.  No formal training, no extensive radar system, just a curious mind and a willingness to work hard.  When he ran into "circumstances" that stopped him from attending college, he went to work on his family's farm and kept chasing his passion in his spare time.  Since 2012 he has become a bit of a local phenom, amassing more than 11,000 fans on his Facebook page and even a feature story on nj.com (check it out HERE).  Even though I've never met him - I'm really happy for him.  It's a great example of not seeing the limiters in a situation, but rather seeing the opportunities and finding a creative solution.  When I saw a post that said "please excuse grammar errors, I've been up for 27 hours following this storm and I'm pretty tired" I found myself hoping some university or college read the article and finds a way to reward his passion and determination with some assistance to overcome whatever the circumstance was......because no matter how unlikely, it was not impossible that he would have such success.

There is an absolutely CRITICAL concept here for anyone who wants to achieve a goal or overcome a challenge.  Impossible = CAN'T be done.  Unlikely = improbable, but DEFINITELY possible.

- Will it be impossible for the gentleman I spoke with earlier in the week who wants to improve his strength and balance to achieve his goal?  Not at all.....but it's unlikely if he doesn't have the right plan - I was happy that he called.

- Will it be impossible for the person with the shoulder discomfort I crossed paths with to feel better? Nope!  But, it's unlikely that will happen without restoring normal motion and stability. I'm glad she asked.

- Is it impossible for the person I met who wants to lose significant weight this year get there? Of course not, but it's unlikely without some dietary and exercise habit changes. I hope I can help.

- Finally is it impossible for me to enjoy the snow? Well....no, but it's very unlikely if the only reason I spend any time in it is with a shovel in my hand.

We are stronger than we think.  Given the right environment and a wide enough vision most of us can achieve more than we ever thought possible.  We may not all have a passion for the weather.....but somewhere in there we all have passion.....and when passion is in the mix, ANYONE can do extraordinary things.

I hope that despite the unique challenges and risks a winter storm brings, you made it safely through, proving once again exactly how possible "safe & healthy" is.

I'm going to play in the snow with my kids.

Have a great weekend,


Mike E.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home