Friday, March 9, 2012

RECOVER: March 2012

Celebrating Success!
While the weather hasn't been exactly "frightful" lately, the winter sports season for Pro-Activity trained high school athletes has been packed with long bouts of grueling work and competition. After committing months to training and preparedness in the off-season, while many of us were giving thanks in late November and ringing in the New Year a couple of months later, our athletes were out running, jumping, and drilling....they were moving....they were focused on their fueling strategies for optimal performance (some of them competing in sports that require one to monitor weight)...they were enduring the hardships that come with competitive sports....and choosing their recovery times wisely.....and as they implemented each of these "Elements" into their game plan there was one more thing they were doing....WINNING...and we couldn't be more proud!
In the "Recover" article this month, we officially congratulate all of the Pro-Activity trained winter athletes, and feature a couple who have clearly gone above and beyond, have earned very impressive recent accomplishments, and were willing to share insight into their approach.
Ryan Potter: Pole Vaulter, Senior at North Hunterdon High School:
Season Highlights:
  • Group IV State Champion
  • 4th Place NJ Meet of Champions
  • 5th Place Eastern States
  • National Indoor Championship Qualifier (meet on Friday 3/9/12)
"After spending the off-season training twice weekly at Vertical Assault Pole Vault club, and twice weekly for strength & conditioning at Pro-Activity, I came into the winter season with a goal of becoming the Group IV State Champion and was fortunate enough to achieve this with a personal best 14' vault. I was very excited to see all my hard work and training pay off, and am looking forward to continuing to pole vault competitively and make an impact next year at UNC-Wilmington.
Although I was not able to take any down time after Groups since I had qualified for the Meet of Champions, Eastern States, and Nationals, to recover after a meet I take the rest of the day off and then try to only do a light workout the next day. After Nationals on Friday I will have a break from competing until outdoor season begins in April, where I hope to again be the Group IV State Champion, and the Meet of Champions NJ State Champion."
Ryan Pomrinca: Wrestler, Freshman at North Hunterdon High School
Season Highlights:
  • District 17 Runner-Up
  • Region 5 Runner-Up
  • NJ State Championships - 7th Place
  • Season Record 39-5
"After finishing my middle school wrestling career last March, I spent my off-season the same way I have since I was 11 years old, getting stronger and training three days a week at Pro-Activity and getting regular practice at the Edge wrestling school, and I felt I was prepared for High School wrestling. My goal was to make it to Atlantic City (the NJ State Championships) but actually didn't expect to do this well. I trained hard in the season at North Hunterdon, felt strong, and my coaches continued to help me get better.
I think I really started to believe after wrestling Hunterdon Central in February and winning 21-9, and after that I just kept working and taking it one match at a time. At states I lost to the returning (and eventual repeating) state champion in double overtime and had to regroup and recover quickly since winning my next match would guarantee that I place in the top 8. After a match I take some time to recover and reflect on what I did wrong. I think about my mistakes, and make sure I get rehydrated and eat something small so that I have energy for the next match. At the states this year I wrestled 6 matches in less than 48 hours, and two went into overtime. I'm going to take a week off from wrestling now so that I don't burn out and it continues to be fun, but then back to work. Next year my goal is to win it all!"
To all Pro-Activity trained winter athletes - it has been our sincere pleasure to work with you. Congrats on a fantastic winter season. Enjoy your recovery time, however brief it might be...you've earned it!
**Interview with Pro-Activity trained athlete pending at the time this article published - Mike Pongracz, Junior at Del Val HS, 5th in NJ State Wrestling Championships
photo credits: www.nj.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home